PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about the archives at Kew.
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2014, 08:49
Hipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe these ORBs are on microfilm and therefore, apart from getting a readers ticket, you can just look at the these films in the microfilm room. All the post war ones that I've looked at were on microfilm.

They contain so much material most of which will not be relevant for you that it will likely be prohibitive to copy the pages, therefore for making notes is the best way. You'll need pencils and paper for this. It's important you read the advice for visitors for The National Archives as they are pretty strict.

As well as the info you have, some dates would obviously be useful. Looking through these ORBs is tedious work, especially if your Halifax had a long life.

There are ORBs for stations as well as squadrons. Theses are in AIR28 and may have additional information.

I would guess you have already typed in the serial number in Google. That may produce something. In addition there may be a squadron association or even published sources so it might be worth putting the details that you know on here as there's a vast knowledge that can be tapped.