PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BEWARE of WEST AIR
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2014, 08:33
Jack Boots

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Screening

I was screened by west air last year and thankfully failed the sim session, and now working for another airline in the same region.

To shed some light on their process I will give you an idea of what I went thro.

Application process, they had no idea of what documents I needed and constantly had email going back and forward asking me for this and that, then a month later they had lost it and asked to send again, this went on for over 4 months.

I was asked to attended screening for ATPL, medical and Sim test in Chonking. After I booked ticket they cancelled dates and gave me another set, so I changed my flight and then came over. I got to CK and did nothing for 3 days then was taken to to Chendu for ATPL and medical. The standard of hotel was below standard, I have worked in far east, Africa and middle east before but this hotel was quite frankly disgusting.
The ATPL was based on FAA with changes like asking about china airspace and some questions actually in Chinese, I passed.
Medical, standing in a room in your under shorts with a bunch of Chinese guys dancing about is not my idea of fun. Then out dated equipment etc. I have never had a medical problem but according to them I need to drink less beer and stay off seafood ( since I'm tea total for last 7 years I did laugh at that) also my heart rate was low as i keep myself fit, and they subjected me to another test the next day with radioactive injection.
After another day in wondering how many infections I could catch in the Chinese hospital I was told I had passed, so back to CK.

After a few more days wait for sim I was told it could not be arranged and I.d have to come back again or wait in China for another week. I left as had to get back to work with my current operator.

About 3 weeks later flew back to do sim, again I was transported to another location Cumming and put straight in sim. Totally jet lagged and not expected what was given. Double failure of Hyde, FCU, FMGC with a Chinese Co-pilot who did not speak English, a examiner who did not speak English, airport plates in Chinese . A joke sim. I never got above 6,000 ft and got winds hear 2 times, Tcas, brake failure , max x wind, rejected to with brake failure many items all together.
I then left flew back to Beijing and left.
3 days later I was told I had failed sim
I was never refunded the tickets for any travel by them, they just stopped answering my email and the agency did nothing.

Since then I changed agent, did the process for a civilised company and now live in better part of China.
I asked my current agent last week about west air for a friend but they say they do not provide pilots for west air as they have high failure rate and that most pilots who turn up realise that CK is not a place for them
Now I hear about these other issues and don't feel bad about failing the process