PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it really that bad?
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2014, 08:30
CaptainProp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I had fully understood the financial risks I took back then I would have never done it. Back then I did not realize just how hard it was to get a foot through the door to the first couple of jobs before you have experience enough to really be able to compete for good jobs. Today that financial risk is WAAAY higher than back then. We also had no internet to educate ourselves about the industry in the same way as is possible today. Today there is no excuse not knowing exactly what you get yourself and your future family in to.

You really want to fly? Try the military or if you are 25 or younger (and European passport holder) try getting in to BA's or Lufthansa's cadet schemes, or whatever they call hem these days. Not speaking German and failing the DLR test will rule out Lufthansa. While trying these routes, get yourself a proper education to fall back on.

A military career is abviously going to be very different depending on which country you were born in but at least you are not going to pay for your training and there are quite a few non-flying career options to continue your career, both inside and outside the armed forces. BA and Lufthansa are big companies that are likely to be around for some time in one form or another. Start at 22 and you'll have your first command (and more importantly a decent pay) by the time you're 35.

CP