PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2014, 07:16
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Danny:-
(VAT was introduced under the '72 Finance Act, but it did not "bite" till '73) .
I PVR'd in '73, and first priority was to obtain a civvie instrument rating to change my CPL (licensed to carry fare paying pax in the Chipmunk T21!) to an ATPL. Following well trodden footsteps I contacted Swindon Labour Exchange to apply for TOPS, the Training Opportunity Scheme, a splendid idea by which anyone could have the entire cost, of becoming say a Brain Surgeon, paid by HMG. I told them I wanted to become an Airline Pilot and could they pay for my IR? No they said, as the scheme had just been stopped as it had become far too costly, strangely.
So I pitched up at Kidlington realising that the gratuity that a grateful nation had just thrust into my hands (and that was all it thrust, ie no pension) would have to be spent there. Day one and a session in the Link Trainer. Get out and asked to sign the first of many bills.
"What's this?"
"Oh that's the new VAT, but don't worry as educational establishments are exempt. We have only to get our status confirmed as such and it will be refunded".
They never did, and I never was.
How I larfed...