PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Habsheim
Thread: Habsheim
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2014, 05:25
Owain Glyndwr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Conf_iture

Apparently Airbus thought otherwise as following Bilbao they developed a new standard for the ELAC, standard L81, to modify the logic in the AOA protection in case of turbulent conditions.
True, but if you have read the Bilbao report you will also have been aware that the modification was a deletion of the phase advanced AOA term that was part of the logic that triggered entry into the alphaprot mode [and a change to the logic of alphaprot deselection, but that is not relevant here], not a change to the basic alphaprot laws themselves.

You may also know that this post Bilbao change was actually a reversion to the standard that was applicable at Habsheim.

Air Safety Week July 18 2001
The other aspect governing alpha protection is the rate at which AOA is allowed to change before reaching the protection limit. The alpha protection is triggered by two combined conditions: a threshold AOA and the rate of AOA change. To change the outcome in dynamic wind conditions near the ground, Airbus plans to modify the software to eliminate pitch rate as a controlling factor in alpha protection. In plain language, with the rate of change in the value of AOA being removed, the modification basically reverts the software to an earlier standard where pitch rate was not part of alpha protection (the pitch-rate limitation was installed as a result of post-1988 flight tests).
Despite what Dozy has written I have seen nothing to suggest that the basic phugoid damping terms in alphaprot have ever been changed, (and anyway the phugoid damping is an intrinsic part of alphaprot so his remarks make no sense). Consequently I see no reason why the point I was emphasising:

the EFCS behaves as a damper of the oscillations, commanding appropriate variations of angle of attack in a way that, when the aircraft is slowing down, makes it pitch downward and vice versa
should not be a valid explanation of the reason why alphamax was not developed at Habsheim. I repeat - the necessary thrust increase was applied too late.

Last edited by Owain Glyndwr; 21st Feb 2014 at 06:05.