PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MS simulator vs non-virtual flying
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2003, 03:34
mjc507

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MS simulator vs non-virtual flying

First I would like to ask the question of what real world pilots think of MS flight simulator? With all of the add-ons that is available for that program some of us have learned to read Jepp charts, program a real FMC, fly in real world weather, fly SIDS/STARS, configure fuel and download checklists that the pros use.

Let me preface what I'm really about to ask by saying that although I have over several thousand hours of flying time (over 5 years) I don't pretend to know how to fly a real plane. Many things in the FS simply can't be simulated, though as the panels get more real and you have access to every switch and lever along with a lot of good documentation we do learn some good technical info as well. Here's my question: How well would I do on the actual simulator and is it true that flying the real thing is easier than flying the simulator (the real one, not on a PC)?

My virtual airline is British Airways and I not only fly their actual timetable, but many of their company routes as well. I do short hauls in the B734 and mid to long hauls on both the 763 and 777. I have had my share of mishaps (windshear that FS can't predict) but most (95%) of my flights over the last two years have been successful. I understand the language that you speak and can even see where realism has fled in films where the flight attendant landed the plane after the flight crew were snuffed.

Currently I am an architect with more of an interest in flying than sitting in an office all day. What are my chances of being a pilot with a major airline (I am 28) especially in the wake of 11 September? Would I have a leg up in school having the simulator experience?

One more question to really fuel the fire: If, for some reason that I couldn't possibly fathom, I had to fly a real plane and make an ILS approach, could it be done by a "wannabe" simmer?

I know that each of you make your job look easy and I don't want anyone to think I am suggesting that anyone could do it. I look forward to your responses.

Cheers,

Michael