PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L@ser attacks on Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2014, 23:10
AKAAB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I can attest that the damage potential is much higher than we all assume. I was targeted a couple of months ago while on approach. The green laser hit me several times and I had a white stripe/after image in my left eye for 3 1/2 days. For more than two days I had focal migraines. Needless to say, I was grounded.

My initial retinal exam was nominal, but the Doc put me on anti-inflammatory eyedrops and noted a corneal vacuole in my eye on my return visit. His initial exam was very detailed and methodical (laser mapping of my retina - ironic) and he believes the vacuole was caused by the laser. The result is a risk that it will turn into a cataract years later.

My first officer was out a little longer than me because his ophthalmologist found minor corneal damage. It was his second time getting lasered in flight.

We were low enough that I was able to point out the exact origin of the laser to the police using Googlemaps. However, they didn't apprehend anyone. I'm hoping the FBI reward being offered will jog some memories and bring this idiot to justice.

BTW - while doing a little research, I discovered that there are 1000mW rifle laser sights that advertise a range of 10,000 meters. Do the math...