PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can we have your husband's salary back please?
Old 15th Apr 2003, 02:52
FJJP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

It might help if we got the facts right - I have been involved in a number of cases over the past 30+ years where men were killed for one reason or another. First of all, the widow continues to receive the deceased's salary for 6 months after his death. Then, with regard to continuing to live in married quarters, the widow is given a set period (not sure of the exact time) before being given notice to quit. This notice to quit is important, because if the widow moves out on her own accord, she is deemed by the social services to have made herself voluntarily homeless and therefore not eligible for council housing and a raft of other benefits. So the notice to quit for many widows is a step in the chain to attain an advantage on housing lists. Furthermore, after the period of notice has expired, the widow is never pressed to vacate - indeed, she continues to live rent free for some time in the quarter until a council house becomes available (after the notice period expires, the MOD cannot collect rent for a variety of legal reasons, such as giving security of tenure to live in the property).

I have not read the news articles about this case, but it sounds as thought a) a newspaper reporter does not have his facts right and is shooting from the hip, or b) the widow has been badly advised by barrack-room lawyers, or c) some admin clerk without knowledge of the rules has opened his mouth and unecessarily stirred a hornets' nest.

I believe the situation is as above, but it would be good if a knowledgable Blunty out there would confirm.