PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Akrotiri Vulcans
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2014, 19:03
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Taceval, must have been the year before the big upset that sent us all home, and I'm a Jnr Tech on Eng Wing (funnily enough in the Hydraulic Bay at the time, it was one Chf Tech, One Sergeant and yes we had an SACW but her name wasn't White, but not far out). I've been out for hours doing guard on the parallel taxiway, and the Vulcans are coming back from Malta and everywhere else they dispersed to, to avoid the exercise. As their arrival seemed to be timed together, the peri track was nose to tail in Mr Avro's finest. One beast, stopped in the queue adjacent to my patrol point, looking up to the cockpit windows, the RH round one, I notice the proffering of a "Winston" salute in my direction. Having spent the past three days pounding this bit of bondu, I decided that this banter was worthy of reply. Shorts lowered and offering the moon ensured that I really felt justice had been done (and sod you co pilot).

Around two hours later I had a short, very one sided "conversation" with OC 35 squadron, who pointed out that such treatment of his hard working Aircrew, who were working their spheroids off trying to help us all through Taceval, was not acceptable. Having been asked to explain myself, and mentioning the salute from the co pilot, I was silenced and told "Royal Air Force Officers do not act in that fashion". Well I took my rollicking that day, but, today I might argue. A few years as a GE soon put the lie to his assertions. On leaving the Hydraulic Bay I was given the option of Lightnings or Vulcans next, I chose Lightnings, they did seem to have better manners (said he who mooned a Vulcan)

Smudge