PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS cargo crash near Birmingham AL
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2014, 18:22
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like they never correctly sequenced the approach in the box, were playing catch up from above with a late descent and V/S ed down through the path into the ground. They weren't stable at 1000 feet and did not go missed approach as required by the procedures. The callouts at 500 feet and minimums weren't made.

I'm thinking they are going to hang the dispatcher for believing that the LOC 18 procedure was not allowed at night and not telling the crew. He implies that he didn't want to insult the crew's professionalism by telling them about it.

There are rumors, I stress rumors, of significant prior crew training issues, if so, I'm sure this will come out in the NTSB report.
The captain tried to upgrade from first officer twice unsuccessfully in 2002 before finally making it on the third try in 2009. He also somehow failed homestudy training three times in 1991 and 1992 and failed recurrent FO sim training in 2007. He failed his CFI ride in 1985. This would be unusual for most of the pilot group in my experience.

I wonder if the NTSB will harvest the chitchat about the company, the union, howya feelin', I'm tired, ready to go to the hotel, etc. from the CVR? They got a lot of what would previously be considered 'non-pertinent conversation' from the BUF Colgan 3407 crash.
There is definitely some CVR commentary on fatigue and the cargo cutout in the Part 117 rest regs.