PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it really that bad?
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2014, 17:47
Cliff Secord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ulugbek-pilot

My sincere apologies, I didn't mean to insuate you were juvenile in your approach and can see it does read like that which is incorrect of me.

My point was that I think the thinking can be quite blinkered when starting out young because flying is so alluring on the face of it. It's one thing as you know flying light aircraft and enjoying all those things but the career itself is changing and a choice to enter can bring many more ramifications.

At no point did I say to the original poster categorically not to do it or am I attempting to break his/her 'dream'. Cold honest sensible considerations are required when signing up to a career in flying. Its different if it was just flying for fun. Large loans and repayments are no respecter of dreams or age. When a 16 year old signs up to the army I doubt whether they just say 'don't worry about everything else you get to fire automatic weapons and dress up like Rambo, it's great fun'. They take pains to educate new entrants all areas of their chosen avenue, harsh bits and all.

I also didn't say the UK was the only area where this happens, I can only speak from experience of the UK and as I added it is only my opinion.

I've a couple of friends who are Officers in the UK Merchant Navy, they seem to like it. You're obviously away a lot but but all the training was paid for right from the start at college and there is real progression up the ranks.

All good talking points!

Last edited by Cliff Secord; 20th Feb 2014 at 17:57.