PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Copilots in training departments
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2014, 16:48
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an FO, I trained numerous crew members with various levels of experience and abilities in our sims. The role was interesting and challenging, training ranged from initial to recurrent. The training department in question was well organised, structured and supportive. They put a lot of faith in FOs who could never be considered vastly experienced,but who were well motivated and actually had an ability to train, rather than than a talent for ticking boxes, pressing buttons on an IOS and barking b.s. from the back of the sim. Yes there were a few of questionable standards, but they appeared to be very few and far between in my time.

I will also add that having thousands of hours of flight time has nothing to do with an ability to train. I have experienced my fair share of 'I've flown everything and anything' trainers who fall way short of the mark. Of course I can also testify to the opposite. The ability to 'train' is something you either have or don't have in my opinion. Some people just aren't suited, regardless of the fact that they are one notch away from test pilot status with Boeing or Airbus!

Last edited by Callsign Kilo; 20th Feb 2014 at 17:04.