PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Review into North Sea offshore helicopter operations announced by CAA
Old 20th Feb 2014, 16:18
mtoroshanga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Further to the above may I ask a few pertinent questions_

Why was the sliding door opened and not jettisoned. This resulted in the exit windows being blocked.

Why did the co-pilot open his door and not jettison.

Why was the left (port) sliding door not jettisoned.

Why were none of the exit windows on the port side jettisoned

I suspect that there is one common denominator--lack of proper training of the passengers and crew.

These are my problems with the most recent accident which I suspect was the result of the pilot entering a vortex ring situation on the approach.

Regarding the Bond gearbox problem the object of collecting the debris in the gearbox is to establish the amount of damage that has occurred.
When the CAA was still a knowledgeable organisation and not a group of people with micky mouse qualifications we had a manual called airworthiness notices. In this manual was a reference to unusual or unfamiliar measurements and one of those was the amount of debris permitted in an Aerospatial 330J gearbox. This stated that the amount of bearing debris was 2 cm2. This entry was there because of an avoidable accident in Sarawak
Because of the lack of practical knowledge we now have a bunch of incompetent jobs-worth's rushing around blaming competent people in an effort to hide their own short-comings. One can only suspect that this whole sorry episode would be better served by the old school of CAA or ARB type people who knew what they are talking about.