PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 20th Feb 2014, 14:41
Back at NH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The whole thing doesn't sit right with me.

The facts of the matter would indicate that the pilot ignored low fuel warnings, and was caught out by the subsequent rundown of both engines.

There are 2 aspects of concern for me.

1. There still remains a gap in any knowledge of what to this helicopter between engine rundown and arrival through the roof.

2. I simply cannot believe that an experienced pilot could sit there and watch his fuel run out without taking any action. It is beyond comprehension that a low fuel warning can illuminate and that he would not check the gauges and observe the supply tanks emptying with fuel still in the main tank and not do anything about it. Why were the transfer pumps not turned on when the low fuel warnings came on? I simply don't buy it, sorry. Then this situation continues until he sees 0/76/0 and both engines quit, and this causes such a surprise that there appears to be no attempt to enter autorotation. We are expected to believe that after, what - 20 minutes of warning, he wasn't expecting and couldn't react to the rundown of the engines?

I don't doubt the events as published by the AAIB in any way, but how do they compare to the reality as seen in that cockpit on that night. Something isn't right. There's more to this than meets the eye.