PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions for 737 pilots
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2003, 01:53
mjc507

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks very much for all the info. This is really very helpful to me. I don't mind that you didn't see Nosegears post when you responded. It shows that you both have the same info to relate instead of two very different answers which would have confused me to no end.

The ILS approach I was talking about was based on a "checklist" that a fellow simmer had written up. As it doesn't always work well I figured that I was either doing something wrong or there was simply a bug in the program.

To clarify: both of my nav radios were tuned to the localizer frequency an in the manual mode. The inbound course was also set on both HSIs (say 273 for EGLL RW27R). The Vspeeds were as thus, because of my weight the flap 15 speed was at 148 and flap 30 was 132. I slowed to 190 for flaps one and 180 for flaps 5 once my VOR/LOC was captured. At that point it was speed 170 for flaps 10. According to my "checklist" just before glideslope capture I would set speed for flaps 15 and once the glideslope was active vref+5 for a flap 30 landing.

This topic has been a big issue with my fellow simmers so enough chit chat from them I want to hear it from the non-virtual pilot. I also have a very nice video of a GO flight from Stanstead to Lisbon that shows the entire flight and when the F/O talks about the possiblity of a missed approach he does mention that both autopilots are engaged for an autoland. This may be their airline procedure, though.

Also at about 6 miles from the RW the captain turned off the speed and disconnected the autopilot.

As far as the descent issue is concerned, I have placed my descent altitude in the MCP to the first leg of my STAR but the plane stays at cruise until I intervene. This may simply be a glitch in the program.

I look forward to hearing your side of the story on all this. My fellow "wannabes" mean well and are ofen helpful but they aren't sitting where you are.

Cheers,

Michael