PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Those with a frozen ATPL
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2002, 22:10
Grandad Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
high peak,. .to answer your question, there are many places airline pilots lurk! . .For anyone who has never met an airline pilot, I suggest you start looking. Of course, there are people on pprune who are happy to answer questions, indeed I have had a number of people e-mail me and I also speak to students on the phone sometimes.. .But the best thing is to start hanging around at your local flying club or gliding club. You will generally bump into airline pilots there. Not so long ago aspiring young pilots would spend most of their spare time hanging around clubs, gleaning what info they could and helping out around the place. Sometimes people would get paid employment there too. . .People get to know your face and sometimes you may be lucky enough to get some free flying time, or at the very least a passenger seat up front in a light single going off somewhere. Offer to help out, offer to be an extra set of eyes, or do the radio. Once you get known around the place you'll start to find out so much more. I think more recently people see it as beneath them. They don't leave their egos at the door, but carry them around with their shiny new flight cases and expensive headsets. You can usually spot those who have been involved in aviation a while - they are the ones with a tatty bag for a flightcase, a cheap but good headset, and not dressed in a shirt and chinos!!!!. .Ask around. If you find an airline pilot ask if it would be possible for you to have a short chat with him/her about life as an airline pilot. Make a definite arrangement if you can, rather than just asking them loads of questions there and then. That way you can prepare, think of questions that you can't get answered elsewhere. Ask the person about their job, the lifestyle it gives, how they got started, how their company is structured, what they look for in new recruits, the name of the Chief Pilot, whatever. But also treat it more formally, in that you should go well prepared and well dressed. That person may remember you, might see you around the club, and who knows, in the future, once you've got your licence, perhaps you may be able to get a jumpseat or get that person to take your CV in for you.. .There are ways of networking.. .Personally I am happy to help anyone who has already put the effort in. I do sometimes get people mailing me asking for the most basic of info, which is freely available here and on other websites. I tend not to respond. However, someone who is obviously keen, has done their research and has good questions, I am always happy to correspond with them.. .There are ways to start networking, just start thinking about it. Airline pilots were student pilots once and most remember vividly how difficult it is in the beginning.