PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Those with a frozen ATPL
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2002, 21:33
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These stories, and many others, bear out what WWW, IFR and myself have been saying for 5 months or so now. Right after 9/11 we all said, very loaudly, that you should not sign up for an integrated course at least until there were signs of the beginnings of a recovery in the hiring market. For those already committed, we commiserated and advised that all you could do once you graduated would be to return to your old job (if possible) and try and keep yourself current until things improved. We also suggested that the modular route would perhaps be the more sensible option, as you could tailor your eventual graduation to the inevitable upturn when it came. We estimated (in Sept/Oct last year) that that recovery would take between 18 months and 3 years.. .I have seen nothing that would make me change any of the above, and I have to wonder at the wisdom of those who are still signing up for integrated courses to start in the near future!. .As for the jobs market, I can't emphasise too strongly that the situation of the last couple of years, where 200hr fATPL-qualified candidates could reasonably hope to get jobs in a jet cockpit, was an aberration in aviation history, and is unlikely to be repeated any time soon. There is a large number of experienced, type-rated pilots to be absorbed and a new generation of air-taxi, FI, and night-freight experienced pilots being created right now. The airlines, when they do return to recruiting, will look to these experienced pilots first - and those that go out and get that kind of experience somehow, instead of waiting for that elusive jet job, will reap the reward in the future.. .For the next few years, the prospect of the newly-qualified fATPL getting a jet job is very small. The industry wants, and expects, you to go and get more experience on smaller aircraft - as was always the case in the past. This has great benefits both for the aspiring airline pilot and their future employers, so actually I can't say I'm disappointed that this will be the case.. .In the meantime, be very careful how and where you spend your money!