PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 47-year old C150 damaged in Moorabbin accident
Old 20th Feb 2014, 10:15
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, I'd like to say how much I enjoy reading the Aussie threads,devoid of all this PC bollox.
Wrt "instructional " flight , It seems extremely risky to let a raw beginner do a takeoff....Apart from the overload to all senses, how do you justify the need for another ~40 hours of expensive instruction?
Simple things, like setting cruise or descent power, then trimming accurately. yep, we porpoised along for a minute or so! co-ordinated turns (flown models and sailed, so I know what a rudder's for) -these are a real challenge to the "first timer"....t/o and landing can wait until Ihave a "feel" for the controls.

Never had a lesson, but had friends and "informal instruction" in Aeronca Chief,(also a brief jolly in a Champ, for comparison) - Rans 6, 152, 172....."followed through" on the pedals , landing and taking-off with the Chief..."interesting"...one needed to be ahead of the Aeroplane!
The huge advantage of a side-by side trainer....an uncooperative trainee can be focussed with a quick backhander....bit difficult in a tandem,as Centaurus describes.