PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QROPS
Thread: QROPS
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2014, 05:35
Enecosse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I shifted my pensions offshore a little while ago. I have no regrets in doing so, the benefits make it worthwhile for me.
Anyone who has moved offshore and has any interest in financial matters should take a close look.

There is a potential problem that is not obvious when you first start looking at the QROPS and is certainly not pointed out by whoever is looking for your business and it is this.

Most financial products are front end loaded. If you take out a loan in the UK it will be front end loaded. What this means, excuse me if you know, is that all the charges are taken at the start which ensures that the companies/banks get their money at the beginning of the arrangement.

Now when you start a QROPS the salesman (FA) of the financial company (such as DeVeres) will want to sell you a product or products that pay commission such as structured notes, bonds etc. these are front end loaded. They want to sell you this stuff on an ongoing basis to generate ongoing commission. That's how they earn a crust so it's fair enough.

However anyone who is at all savvy about financial matters knows that keeping cost down is critical so there is an inherent conflict between customer and adviser.

If you decide that you want to do your own investing, buying and selling shares within your QROPS (one of the benefits) there is no commission for the FA, there very quickly follows a lack of interest. So you need to know that the FA will be happy with this before setting up the QROPS with him, and you need to consider what would happen if he retired, moved company etc.