PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2014, 21:08
Danny42C

Danny is on Home Ground once more.

Morning came clear and bright. After exchanging our remaining Dm into sterling, and topping-up with the maximum that Lloyds would cash a cheque (+ F1250) for, we noticed that the pattern of our notes had been changed while we'd been away. This was interesting, but seemed a matter of no particular concern.

Now there was one which was ! It was well known that our Forces going out to Germany had, as a rule, no difficulty in changing to drive-on-the-right. And indeed, one of our chaps going home had said: "from now on, I'll never be nervous of driving on the Continent again". Most people would agree. The danger came in the first few days after coming back, when you dropped your guard, and the habits drilled into you in the past two or three years were too strong; and......!!

Of course, we'd all been warned of this: I gingerly hugged the left verge as we set out for Yorkshire. The last tankful of coupon German litres was running low, it had to be replaced by British gallons at an horrific price. On the way up north, only a few motorway-standard bypasses (Doncaster was one) formed a welcome relief from the old Great North Road ("Little North Road" said the cynics) as it meandered along through town after town. After the autobahnen, now we wouldn't have been surprised if we'd met Dick Turpin and Black Bess on the road.

It may be worthy of remark that I can remember (admittedly in earlier years) at least one spot (about half-way up) on the old A1 where there were still level-crossing railway gates across the premier road of the kingdom. The traffic just piled up and waited patiently while Puffing Billy hauled a load of wagons across at walking pace. On the other hand, there were plenty of big roadside pubs (the "Ram Jam Inn" in Rutland comes to mind), and no lack of greasy-spoon trucker's "caffs".

Somewhere in the midlands, we stopped at a hotel for lunch. Fifty miles further on, I suddenly said: "I'm beginning to think I may've been short-changed". But back-tracking was out of the question, the object was to get home ASAP. At dusk we did just that.

Needless to say, we were greeted rapturously by Iris's mother and the rest of the family; Mary (now approaching her third birthday) was the centre of attention. "Sally" had not forgotten us, and fell upon us in such a paroxysm of doggy delight that we were in danger of being licked to death.

Later in the evening, when things had calmed down a bit, I counted my remaining cash. Knowing exactly how much I'd started with that morning, it wasn't hard to work out how much our lunch had cost us. It was clear that we'd been "done" to the extent of £5 or £10 (can't remember now). Obviously I'd tendered a £20 note and got change for £10 (or £10 and £5) - multiply by 21 for today's price. More than we cared to lose.

A last, thin chance remained. I had the hotel bill in my pocket, so I had the phone number. Had an error been noticed ? Was the till £5 (or £10) "up" ? "Sorry, sir, but..." Of course, it might have been an honest mistake, but I doubt it. The notes were unfamiliar (changed colours ?). Had I got "87 EXT" on the car (as I've said a Post or so ago). Or was I still running on "LP 97 B" (there would have bound to have been a period of grace). A family busy with a small child, in a car (then) of a type almost unknown in UK, with "furrin" plates - I was an obvious "mark".

I had to be more careful in future. But I could not but think of the irony of the situation. For 2½ years we'd travelled and shopped in Holland, Germany and Austria (in three currencies), and never knowingly been short-changed, even in the early days when (helpless) we'd had to spread a handful of strange coins on the counter for the shopkeeper to help himself. And now this - on our first day back home ! But, thank God, we were home again.

Good night, all.

Danny42C.

East, West, Home's best !

Last edited by Danny42C; 20th Feb 2014 at 14:57. Reason: Intrusive Apostrophe.