PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Those with a frozen ATPL
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2002, 22:02
seatrumpeter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow,. .I feel like topping myself having read this thread. Before I do, I have a few comments

I have FAA and now, IAA licenses (just finished the IAA ones). I have 1,200 hours and I can't find work in the US. I work as a flight instructor, but I'm tired of that and ready to move on if I can. Having just got the Irish Licenses, I'll send out resumes to anyone who'll take them and see what happens. It at least gives me a sliver of hope.

There are days when I'm fed up and think I'll never get there. There are other days when I'm out flying on a sunny day and I realize that choosing to fly was the best thing I ever did and I'm certain that I will find that job I want, that I will beat out the thousands of other candidates looking for the same job. I find some baby step to take to help me keep moving forward and keep the dream alive.

I've been broke for five years because I chose to fly. The dream seemed closer until 9/11 - another on a long series of set backs.

But at the end of the day, whether I make it or not, I'll have tried. I am a pilot now, damn it, and I always will be. Best of all, I'm on the inside of the fence, I get to roll down the runway, even if it is in a 152, and launch into the magnificant sky. I'm the envy of those on the outside of the airport perimeter fence.

I think of the alternative - never having persued my dream, and it's unbearable.

So stop complaining about things that are out of your control and do something about it. Find a way to keep flying, keep adding hours, keep your skills current. Keep sending resumes. Keep meeting people, keep trying, keep the dream alive. If you really want it, you will get it; that more than anything, I believe.