PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Those with a frozen ATPL
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2002, 14:43
jasonjdr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Spang, Mag check, Looney...... and me!

Dito all the comments made by the afore mentioned above. I went to OATS all guns blazing and full of belief. I also sat in front of the TV at OATS on 11/09 and slowly realised that I would be going back to my old job, baring some minor miracle.

I, like many, paid for the course myself. Graduated in Oct 2001 and am lucky enough to have my old employers take me back. I'm 31 and not getting any younger. I sit here and worry about losing my currency, re-sitting my IR, and waiting for the endless pools of experience which is currently available to run out so that the airlines will finally consider someone like me.

Depressing, I know, but for all of you considering a jump into the 'wild blue yonder'. Go for it! I did have a fantastic time. Work your bollocks off and make sure that you get a first time IR pass and over 85% av. in your ground exams. It may help you to get a foot in the door. (and lets face it everything helps!). There is no quick or easy way, no magic formula to get your licence (read some of the comments on this site and you can plainly see that). Its a combination of many; right place, right time, right person, right grades, know the right person........etc.

Just for the stats. Out of my course 9 were BA and all were put on hold indefinatley (this was the same for the course before). Another 9 were self-abusers, and needless to say job less. The last person I heared of getting a job from OATS and self-abused was from a course graduating somewhere back in Jan 2001 and was hired within a month.

I do believe those starting now will be in a better position than me and my colleagues. the market will have picked up, and there MIGHT be prospects straight out of OATS! I do remember when I first started the airlines kept coming around OATS looking for new pilots........oh, if only.