PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 47-year old C150 damaged in Moorabbin accident
Old 19th Feb 2014, 11:10
MakeItHappenCaptain

Location: Hollister, Hilo, Pago Pago, Norfolk Is., Brisbane, depending which day of the week it is...
Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
Font size 3 would have been shouting.

The emphasis was on Instructional versus a Joyflight, ie. giving them a go versus showing them how good you are.

It would be up to the instructor to exercise their own discretion of course, but an unqualified statement along the lines of "letting a TIF student do the takeoff is stupid" is in my experience more often then not incorrect.

One of the first things you will work out is whether this is a present for a birthday and they have no interest at all in comtinuing or if they are seriously considering flying training. The fact that Little Jimmy is only 11 years old may influence how early you decide to give him the controls.

I agree with most of what you have said, except that you really won't overwhelm the student by letting them rotate and then taking over until you get to 1000'. If you have prepped them correctly, they won't simply "pull back" requiring the instructor to intervene and confusing the poor sod.

Describing the landing (ie. describing the landing attitude, nothing too heavy) while they follow is also unlikely to overload them, but will be useful in the interests of primacy if they are intending to continue.

Not everyone will agree with my opinions, but there is definitely an "art" to this exercise.