PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Headsets (TSO etc)
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2014, 09:44
Eyon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headsets (TSO etc)

Hi PPRuNe,

I am in the situation right now where I need a new headset. Currently flying pistons doing my IR but am wanting a replacement of my currently falling to bits DC's. I'm looking for something that will transition nicely into hopefully flying jets in the future, depending if this "shortage of pilots" ever arrives.

I'm somewhat confused about the rules and regulations which airlines and our dear friends at EASA impose upon us with regards to headset standards. Whilst I know some US carriers require a TSO standard headset, some do not and for the life of my I cannot find info on European carriers. I am in the UK if that makes a difference with the CAA.

I'm really interested in the Clarity Aloft headset (they do a TSO version for about £150 more), or possibly a Bose QC15 with Uflymike conversion, but would 1) this be against the rules of the major carriers (I'm talking RYR probably here) not to have TSO certification and 2) is it something that ever gets checked out?

Bose A20 and that are lovely, and I know many like the telex or senheiser headsets, but the in-ear ones are attractive to me right now due to their light weight and the fact my thicker-frame glasses cause issues with traditional headset designs.

Many thanks, hopefully someone can shed some light on this.