PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sporty's Pilot Shop - Online Scam?
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2014, 07:31
VH-XXX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems you may have wasted your $500.

Does it even work in Australia?

I so wanted to love this watch, but its garbage.
By Lynn Dixon - January 8, 2014
Amazon Verified Purchase
I have been looking forward to this watch for a long time. I was excited to see someone selling it Amazon, so I ordered it immediately. Garmin does GPS well, but they suck at watches. Let me go through all the things that I dislike about this thing.

First off, the display is impossible to read indoors. I tried adjusting the contrast to make it better, but nothing helped. I have to constantly turn on the backlight when I am indoors. My office has flourescent lights, and I can still only barely make out the display. However, in direct sunlight, it looks just like they advertise.

Secondly, this thing weighs a TON!!! I am used to wearing a titanium Citizens Skyhawk, and this D2 felt like I was wearing lead on my wrist. It also kept sliding to one side of my wrist for some unknown reason.

Thirdly, its as big as a brick! The thing is so damn huge, that I have a hard time getting my hand into my pockets on my work slacks as well as blue jeans. Its stupid huge! If you have gigantic hands/wrists it MIGHT look ok on them. On me, it just looks like a gawdy, getto watch. Sorry.

Fourthly, despite it being massive, and weighing a ton, the case feels cheap. Its plastic-y, and has a matte finish. I was really hoping for some type of quality metal here. Stainless would have been nice. Titanium would have been perfect.

Navigating the map page is pretty cumbersom if you want to pan. and there is very very little information on the map page. Pretty much juist shows airports and state boundry lines.

Now for the things it does good at. It does connect to my Android phone and I can send my flight plans from Garmin Pilot really quickly. I like that. The alarms and alerting are really nice. I like the altitude alert for practicing manuevers, as well as the ones for when you get close to waypoints.

I am going to be sending this piece of junk back, and hopfully Garmin can get it right on their second version, if there is one. For $449 I was expecting a quality watch. I didn't get that.