PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 5
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2014, 06:53
P330

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Letter

There is one line in the letter that I would like to comment on and that is the comment that the government have rejected two RGF bids that would have unlocked tens of millions in investment.

Firstly, you would have to ask why the government rejected the bids. At the very least, it was because the bids were not well put together but could also be due to the fact they didn't think the case was strong enough versus other investment opportunities. That said, whatever the government thinks, if Peel think this is an unjust decision and they truly believe this cash would unlock the future, then why not lend the money themselves from one of their various entities. Such a good investment would clearly bring big revenues back to their pockets right? However, Peel chose not to, and this can only be because they didn't think it was a strong enough investment either OR they don't see a long term future in the airport.

So, I think they should stop blaming the government and start to be honest. I'm not a fan of these letters as they ask the same questions but how about asking the question:

"If DTV is such a good investment, why doesn't Peel put in the equivalent RGF money themselves?"

And the honest answer is probably a simple one. They have bigger fish to fry and it will be incredibly difficult to make this work - however if the government turn us down, we can blame them. After all, we're already blaming APD, BMI, the economy etc we may as well blame the RGF bid evaluators as well.