PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Those with a frozen ATPL
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2002, 21:11
mattince

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Oh my GOD!! You're really getting scared now mate - I'm in the process of filling out my application form to go to OAT at the end of April. I got my Class 1 last week so am just waiting for the certificate now.

OAT have drastically cut down their courses. What was one new course evry 4 weeks is now one course every 3 months it seems! The last entry was in the first week on Jan and the next is the end on April and the next one after that planned for July/August!

So I'm aiming to go in April and shall work my ass off to do the best I can. I must admit that mummy & daddy came into some money and are funding most of it but I am having to pay it back and have saving of my own of approx £8K.

It is a gamble to go at the moment but I figur ehtat I shall be graduating in summer 2003 and hopefully things will be better for the job market by then. I guess with uncertainty, I shall try and work harder and try to be a cut above the rest even in my small class of 18.

If it all goes pear shape then I will at least know that I am in a better position than before and not working in some crummy office in Manchester! I have always wanted to be a pilot and will have achieved my life ambition! I also know that I will be at the best school at Oxford so will hoepfully have peace-of-mind on the course. Won;t an OAT education stand me out from the crowd?

If it's really unlikely I will get a job in Europe then I could go work for BWIA in Trinidad, West Indies. I was born there, some of my family are there, my uncle is the chief pilot and I could get a great type rating on their MD-80s and Tri-Stars!!

What do you think? What else can I do but gamble on the outcome of a job at the end of it? If it matters at all, how old are you? How did you do on the OAT course?

Am I really risking it all?

Cheers mate.