PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UH-72 to Rucker ? What's the Army thinking?
Old 18th Feb 2014, 22:38
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
I went from the TH-55A to the UH-1 B/D/H to the CH-47A/B.

The step up to the Huey was ok....particularly the UH-1B.....with the side step into the D/H much easier....but it was a giant leap into the Chinook. The first time I picked the ol' Girl up to a Hover....it was intimidating. But within just a few hours it was a done deal. We have to remember we are training Pilots who will be Co-Pilots for Years...sometimes many Years before they are given command.

I will admit the hundreds upon hundreds of EOL's we practiced paid off handsomely later on. Are the Lakota's going to hold up to that kind of punishment? If they do....at what Cost?

Basic handling skills are just that....basic to helicopter flying....skip over some of them....omit some of them....and you are headed for disaster in the long run.

US Army Student Pilots never "Solo" a helicopter....they go with another Student and call it "Solo"....that is not a good thing in my book.

Simulators are fine for Instrument Training....even the old SFTS worked fine despite having no Visual Display at all. Little time in the real aircraft is needed for training....but some is needed for real world exposure but only as a validation of the training.

If the Army wants to use the excuse "but we have all these Lakota's you see....and since we got them....well you know....." then they have shed loads of Kiowa's of all models. Why not SLEP them back to Trainer Mod's and use the excuse...."but we have all these Kiowa's you see....and since we got them....well you know....".

In the time of tight budgets....the Army is going to try to convince Congress operating the Lakota's is cheaper than operating Jet Rangers (Kiowa's).