PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UH-72 to Rucker ? What's the Army thinking?
Old 18th Feb 2014, 20:45
Um... lifting...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went from a TH-57B to a TH-57C to a HH-65A, which had a starflex rotor that turned the other direction, a fenestron, real AFCS, crude FMS, Marconi gauges, and a wee bit of primitive monochrome glassy stuff. Other than being appallingly underpowered, it had little in common with the TH-57.

Yes, one does adapt, but the learning curve was fairly steep, as it was for my contemporaries going into Sikorsky products. It's steeper now.

The jump from a clapped-out TH-57C directly to a 60 variant or a new H-1 is fairly huge.

Sims I suspect and hope will be a big part of any new training procurement. I need to jaw with the sim boss at exciting Whiting. He owes me a beer anyway.

AAKEE makes a good point about the possibility of an easy-to-fly modern machine masking weak handling skills. I would think that will be a real issue. So too may be a loss in the ability to fly raw data from needles and DME unless it is explicitly taught, which remains a necessary skill set for lots of stuff, such as SAR and mucking about with TACANs, if such crude devices still be used.