PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UH-72 to Rucker ? What's the Army thinking?
Old 18th Feb 2014, 17:58
Lonewolf_50

Received 421 Likes on 263 Posts
Originally Posted by GoodGrief
Sorry, Lifting, I think you're completely off on this one.

This is not about dog fights but basic training, i.e. learning to hover etc, etc. Even an R44 would suffice.

$3000 of tax payers money per hour for hover practice ?
Bingo. GoodGrief got it in one.

Navy and Army have to decide how to do their instrument training and primary rotary wing training, if the venerable 206 is getting long in the tooth and support costs continue to go up.

Problem is, do you buy a "one size fits all trainer" as the Navy has now gotten? The TH-57 used to be a VFR only bird, with the TH-1E/TH1L being the instrument / advanced bird. In the 80's the Navy got a mod to some the TH-57's for instrument training. IIRC, it was a military cert.

Getting a civil certified instrument bird to replace the TH-57 will be an interesting exercise in both acquisition and requirements re-definition, but I think that's where the Navy has to go as the support for that old version of 206 fades, or just gets too expensive per hour.

Since Army has a platform already bought and paid for, and is trying to save money by eliminating an entire TMS (and since Bell and other vendors are not exactly supporting the old airframe with any enthusiasm) their decision makes sense from the level of "don't need to go through that acquisition cycle again." Their biggest issue will be long term, and the cost per hour increase GoodGrief mentioned. That and how many sims to buy, what mix, etc.

I imagine one could get into a two tiered training system, with the first 10 or 15 or 25 hours in a Robinson to teach people how to hover and do basic helicopter flying things ... then off into the land of turbine driven twins.

But I don't think the Army wants to buy another new line of aircraft, so Mr Robinson's order book probably won't get that massive spike such a move would see.