PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 Tailstrike @ FNC
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2014, 17:16
Gordomac

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Gosh, nothing much changed there eh ? Trap for all of us unsespecting. Way back in '83, FNC was a 'Captains only' and having just got my first Command, was being checked out there by our CP. Usual, talk through the downwind and special procedure (looking for the banana shed ) and a constant highly supportive and complimentary commentary stopped when we agreed that we were ' in the slot'. Thrust levers closed, ready for the upslope and then down-slope off the end of a cliff. B A N G . A touchdown any Navy pilot would have been proud of, taking the first wire. B u r t. CP seemed to have lost his voice as we taxid in. I meekly asked, after the autonomon clean-ups, " Did you get the landing time ? ". 'Well', said he,
'MY watch stopped at 06...................so, I guess, that's it !'. Rotter !

Years later, in trouble for some other offence (think I was laying a senior Trainer's girlfriend ), at check in for a night BAH, Crew Rostering Chief ran up, gave me a hug(yuk) and told me that the ' Heat's off you'. When pushed, he told me that some other bod had just bent the nosewheel of a 757 into the front toilet at FNC ! I blasted off to BAH and after the normal, SOP, crew party, changed into a Hosty uniform and dived into the hotel pool.

Later, Manch to FNC, forecast wx just on limits but actuals well within, taking TFS fuel, took an approach to FNC, didn't like it, went to PSO which then went below limits, by then, not enough fuel for TFS. Now, here's a good Command interview question................."What would YOU do ? " !!!

Point of all this. Watch for the traps. FNC is a big "gotcha" if you are not careful.