PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 18th Feb 2014, 15:26
Reely340

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Current police pilots are telling you what they do and ALL of them go home at the end of their sorties to designated police landing sites - simples
Understood, but in this case the "ground crew" ordering him around in real time, preventing any solid flight planning before takeoff, should be required to consider his fuel reserves, before ordering him the go to traget #47 of this flight, not?

I'm definitely missing something here, that is not a radio taxi operator, asking "who is airborne and closest to XYZ?"...

Or would they simply say "please go to XYZ to check on alleged tresspassing" whereupon he has to say - after some in cockpit calculations(!) - "naah, that would cut into my OPM mandated reserve"

The AAIB report states he had 400kg in the beginning at 20:45.
That'll last ~ 95mins (=22:20). So how can he be ordered/tasked/expected to be airbore at 22:22 and follow OPM's min fuel reserve regs.?
If the fuel were in the correct tanks and he had landed, woudl that have been within company OPM fuel limits?

While reading that thread I've always felt that someone on the administration side has asked too much from an a/c with 95min endurance

Who calls an end to an police helicopter sortie?

Last edited by Reely340; 18th Feb 2014 at 15:43.