PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TECHNICAL QUESTIONS
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2014, 12:57
The Green Goblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. What is the difference between Vra and Vb?
VRa is the speed you fly after a tcas incident. Vb is what you drink on free drink vouchers at the hotel discussing how you saved the day.

2. You are in a turbo-prop coming in fast, what is the proper landing technique?
The correct technique is to reverse the props in flight. It will reduce your speed quickly and allow for a shorter landing roll.

3. You are about to cross a Jet Stream with a decreasing temperature .How do you proceed to avoid turbulence?
You increase your Mach number to raise your TAT. This mitigates the loss and helps with turbulence penetration. It also gets you to the bar faster.

4. There are embedded thunderstorms behind an area of moderate rain, how will the weather radar be affected?
You turn down the gain so everything is green. Due to the reduced attenuation you receive greater clarity and course guidance. She'll be right is often mentioned at this point.

5.You are flying from A to B and begin to experience -FZRA, what should you do? i think climb
Wipe the sweat off your brow. It means you're no longer in the heavy freezing rain. Why didn't they put deicing gear on these damn piston twins again?

6.You forget to reset your subscale going through 18,000'. What alt will ATC see when you reset it?
Switch off said transponder. ATC, have you got a return from XyZ? Would you like me to recycle?

7. How do i calculate critical point, SGR or SAR?
Critical point is 6 beers on a minimum rest layer. SGR is the specific grog ratio on the remains of the last can to comply with bottle to throttle. SAR time is when you promised to call the wife when you got back to the hotel room. She calls it selfish arsehole reversion. I call it sudden airhostess requirement time.

8.Thunderstorm detection while in cloud w/ precip. not sure but I think its harder to detect t-storms cos of attenuation
Just look at the other guy. If he stops talking about the cricket and that arse in row 3, 20L required.

9.What happens when precip falls onto a cold soaked wing? i think it forms frost or melts the frost formed
It helps warm up the wing. After all, if it's raining it's obviously warmer than the wing. Due to friction from the impact of the precipitation an indirect form of latent heating is invoked. Heavily utilized by Antonov pilots in Eastern Russia.

10.When is your True Altitude lower than Indicated. i think its when temp or pressure is lower than ISA
Low to high, careful of the sky. Remember that one. It'll save you.

11. what is the formula for calculating critical point?
I dunno. But I reckon if you ask a particular ex westwind captain this one he'd be able to sink it pretty quickly into your memory.

12.What happens when precip falls onto a cold soaked wing? does it melt the frost or causes more ice?
Global warming should have solved this problem by now. Deicing will no longer be required as decreed by the UN.