PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CSA China Southern!
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2014, 23:45
ELAC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ELAC

You did not completely answer my question;

Why do you describe all CSA expat Captains in such a condescending manner? (Relief Captain/ Senior First Officer/ Etc)

My next question(s) to you;
Why the bad attitude toward CSA expat Captains?
Is the desert not hot enough this time of year??

Mastema,

It sounds like you've got a bit of a raw nerve there. I never described CSA expat captains in any terms, condescending or otherwise. From your own quote of what I originally posted:

"CSA advertises that they are recruiting captains, and so they are, but evidently they are not recruiting captains that they intend to routinely designate as the Pilot In Command, but rather captains who will be assigned almost exclusively to relief captain duties..."
I stated what I understand the terms of the job that CSA is offering to be. That hirees will not be assigned to PIC duties has been confirmed by several others on this thread. There is no slight there intended towards those that are working for CSA.

Perhaps you find any description of duties using the terms "relief captain" or "augmenting captain" to indicate some diminishment of status. In the places I've been, that's not the case. "Captain" is a rank or status period. "Relief captain" is a duty, just as "pilot-in-command" is. If you want to call not being the PIC something other than "relief captain" or "augmenting captain" then by all means feel free to do so.

As to your second question, similarly, I have no attitude regarding CSA expat captains at all. One or two individuals have posted their rationales for logging PIC time in their logbook when not the PIC that I think reflect a questionable practice and I've said so. As somebody whose been working in China for over 5 years and done expat gigs in various locations for 15 years now I've had some experience with the subject and have a reasonably informed opinion. If my opinion doesn't happen to suit the desires of some that's fine, it's no skin off my nose. Some who are considering the job, however, don't have any previous points of reference to decide whether the practice is reasonable or not. For those, hearing a different viewpoint might be worthwhile before they quit a secure job and head over to the wild west that is China these days.

Regards,

ELAC