PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions for 737 pilots
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2003, 15:36
NoseGear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi again Micheal, glad to help. For some good info re: Anti-ice see Bokomoko's post, he explains it well.

The thing to remember with using Anti-ice is that the supply of hot air comes from bleed air drawn from the engines. When you have anti-ice on, there is a greater requirement for bleed air. The way the engine corrects for this increase in demand is to increase thrust to allow for the increased bleed air demand. If you leave anti-ice on when not required you get an increase in fuel burn, which is not a favourable condition. As for the 767 (I don't fly a 767) the only reason you would use anti-ice in the cruise would be if you encountered "visible moisture". At FL380 over the Atlantic, at -50C, and no storms around as you said, there would be no need for it. There is no requirement to heat the wings for or during descent, unless descending into icing conditions.

If you are looking for the DH on a Jepp chart you need to look at the bottom of the approach plate, and you will see an area with boxed information, there you will see something like this:
DA(H) 222' (200')
That is your Decision Altitude (Height), which is for a CAT 1 ILS. The difference between the 2 heights above is the DA takes into account the airport elevation. But the DA is the height at which you commence the missed approach.

As for the SID you described, it sounds pretty painful, and as I don't have the charts, I really can't say. It may be for terrain clearance as you seem to crossing the Seaford VOR 3 times, back and forth. Or perhaps for noise abatement in the area. As for the transition altitude this is for providing flight levels above this altitude and below is on area QNH. As far as going direct to your transition altitude this would be irrelevant. In normal operations, you would probably be cleared higher during the SID, but again, that depends on traffic. The altitudes you mention in the SID are minimum heights you must obtain, not maximum. In real world ops, you would probably be cleared higher, and possible once above your MSA, cleared direct to next waypoint. Check for the MSA, Minimum Safe Altitude and see what it is. It is more important than transition altitude.

Hope this helps, perhaps someone who flys in the region can shed some more light on it. I would highly recommend going down to your local aeroclub and talking with one of the instructors, taking some lessons and seeing how much more fun it is doing it in the real world yourself.

Good luck

Nosey
PS. I don't fly in the US either, keep guessing!