PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC135
Thread: EC135
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2014, 14:04
TeeS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brought across from the Glasgow thread:

Come on Sid, I'm sure that you know the PFD triangle has nothing to do with balance?
Cheers
TeeS

Mmm, it goes away when I 'step on it', I get reminded about it on OPC's and it does feel nicer when it's not on the screen.
You're not confusing it with the track triangle on the ND are you TeeS?
Hi Sid

The triangle is letting you know that the yaw SEMA(s) are running out of authority. If this was to have happened in pitch or roll, this signal would go, via the autopilot, to the trim motors attached to the cyclic - the cyclic then moves allowing the actuators to reposition towards a more central position. Since the yaw pedals don't have trim motors, you take the place of them.

So, assuming the yaw SEMA finds itself towards the limit of applying right pedal, the triangle will appear to the right so, you apply right pedal - as you apply the right pedal, the SEMA can wind back towards the centre of its range; however, there has been no actual input to the fenestron.

This is why you can often get the triangle asking for right pedal and the ball asking for left pedal. I usually clear the triangle first and then the ball, mainly because I usually fly out of balance anyway :-)

Cheers

TeeS