PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CSA China Southern!
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2014, 12:37
737lpa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CSA PIC

Hi everyone,

Let it be known that I'm a successful CSA candidate waiting for my CAAC check and that the below is my understanding after talking to PARC, reading the draft contract and talking to someone already flying the line in CSA as an expat CPT:

1.- CSA does not hire PIC's. They hire CAPTAINS. Captains are ATPL holders rated on the aircraft who can fly on the left seat iaw company procedures.

2.- Initially, CSA expat captains will not be allowed to fly as Captains by themselves, that is, alone with First Officers.

3.- After a year and a half or so, and if the company so decides, they will be "upgraded" to a higher degree of captaincy (A2, D, or whatever they call it) where they will be able to operate without the restriction set on #2.

4.- All CSA long-haul flights on the B787 and B777 are double crewed and therefore all expat CPT's will always be paired up with an unrestricted CPT (presumably a Chinese guy with whiter hair than you) who will be the designated PIC for the flight, weather he is flying, sleeping or taking a dump.

5.- Expat CPT's will take turns with unrestricted CPT to fly the leg or act as relief. This means that, when it's their turn, they will operate from the left seat, with an F/O on the right, but with the unrestricted CPT / PIC somewhere in the ACFT.

6.- Even when not operating (flying) the leg, the unrestricted CPT acting as PIC will still be responsible for all decisions regarding the flight and not the expat CPT. This includes signing the techlogs and related legal paperwork for dispatch.

7.- For logging purposes, and in line with Chinese and company regulations, the expat restricted CPT's will be able to log PIC when they're operating from the left seat. Weather an airline down the road dismisses that flight as valid for an interview is irrelevant. Airlines hire whoever they deem appropriate and they may require that the PIC time on long-haul flights be the designated PIC, and not just a CPT operating the leg. They may also require for you to play baseball, be proficient in black and white photography or be able to run 3 miles naked.

8.- In reality, it makes sense to me that CSA covers themselves and provides a transition to non-rated CPT's where they will act as CAPTAINS, but under the initial supervision of a more senior unrestricted Captain who obviously will be making the calls while the newbies learn the tricks of a new ACFT, new company, new part of the world and new type of operation.

With all that said, I think the gig looks good for those wanting to transition and that your PIC time will count towards your overall experience on the ACFT, although maybe challengeable by some carriers who would dismiss your PIC time due to not being the designated PIC for the flight.

Good luck to all!