PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 17th Feb 2014, 12:24
Reely340

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I admit, I didn't read all post of that mega thread, but I read that prelim. AAIB report and have learnt an amazing amount about EC135's fuel system.
I waded thru many ponderings and assumptions about the pilot's action or lack thereof, his choice of landing site etc..

But I'm having trouble aligning some simple "facts":
  1. The fact that the MRB and TR seem to show now sign of hitting ground while turning (assuming they'd look different even when turning only at min. power off rpm)
  2. The witness' reports of the pub indicate a certain delay between the noise "where the band made the roof collapse (cheers and laugther), band picks up playing again..." and the actual roof/floor collapse (it is a vault, hence people and band were in the cellar, right?)
Considering 1
- either the pilot actually autorotated the ship successfully to the ground (roof actually) and the rotors stopped "fully" (rotor brake..) before falling through the roof
- or he literally slammed onto the roof with rotors stopped (rather unlikely, in the light of statements about local building quality in that area vs. a 2t a/c)

Considering 2 (time span 3-10 secs??)
That witness info insinuates some kind of controlled roof landing. But then I do not see how the blades could have stopped. Are 10 secs enough to stop the rotors ?

Somehow the picture in my mind is a correctly landed EC with rotors stopped, on a flimsy roof. Put in a nutshell: had the roof not collapsed noone would have been injured, refuel and take of again, kinda...

Thus:
What is the current forum's "consensus" regarding the last 20 secs before the roof collapsed?