PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Complete Shutdown?
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2003, 14:16
jtr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
74, we all have it pretty well spelled out in the contract, retraining or not, the fact of the matter is, there are a bit under 1000 people who hold seniority to you (I assume you joined the list when everyone else did) which means, if CX are going to lay peolpe off, and if they are going to adhere to the contract (big if), then it is last on, first off, just like it says on your contract. Don't see anything about involuntary unpaid leave, or anything similar in the contract, just redundancies.
Sadly the feeling might be different if it weren't for the current climate, but in simple terms, try telling a 9 year f/o why he should take unpaid leave so that the freighter Captain who took his command slot, and the S/O who joined against the ban don't get laid off.
I don't wish redundancy on anyone, but should it come to that, then there is a mechanism in place for that. If it gets that far up the list that it starts to affect those on the freighter, then imo your saving grace may be that they don't want to retrain guys twice (assuming things will pick up) so they may keep you on, whilst paying guys above you to sit on their asses at home.
I know it is a complex issue, but in simple terms, there is a procedure in place, a contractual obligation between employee, and employer, and if they want to start screwing with it, they are just going to have to spend more time in court.

Looking foward to shortly's wisdom