PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SSDR
Thread: UK SSDR
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2014, 08:30
cbsiftcbe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello good people, thank you for your comments . I am actually a BGA Gliding Instructor, I have got about 500 hours in gliders and I do own a EASA glider which flies fine at the moment. Building an SSDR aircraft is the next challenge on my list.

Well, I do not need to re-invent the wheel here. Although its designer is deceased, Woodstock plans and construction notes are still available. Dozens of Woodstock gliders had been built and flown in different parts of the world before. So, the design is OK. I also know a friendly inspector from my gliding club who can take a look at the work that I am going to do. I don't want to interfere with BGA on this matter because if an SSDR aircraft is required too many signatures and forms and paperwork I would not be interested in building a low performance glider. Moreover, I am not planning to launch from a BGA club. Starting from 2015 all (or most ) glider pilots will be licensed by CAA in the UK. So, we will all have CAA SPL (sailplane) licences soon. As far as I understand, BGA will carry on its pilot training scheme as being an ATO that is authorised by CAA.

Before I ring/write to CAA I would also like to hear from people who has actually built or heard about the registration procedures for SSDR type in the UK.

By the way, this is Woodstock
Carbon-Dragon