PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions for 737 pilots
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2003, 13:11
Bokomoko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. The takeoff stab trim position is adjusted based on airplane center of gravity (C.G.) and takeoff flaps for a determined situation. For a B737-300 - if cargo, fuel and passenger are properly distributed - takeoff stab trim settings are from 1.0 to 6.3 units. Higher settings mean heavier on forward area and opposite for lower stab trim units. Additionally - to prevent a takeoff maneuver using a stab trim setting out of maximum limits – there are two more alerts to the pilots: a display of a green band on stab trim pointing out the maximum takeoff setting range and a horn will sound if throttles are advanced, during takeoff with the stab trim beyond that green band (one of the conditions for the takeoff configuration warning).

2. In congested terminal areas - and mainly those with many adjacent airports - there are standard procedures to organize the traffic flow. SIDs and STARs are prepared and used to facilitate controller and pilot works when airplanes are leaving or arriving those airspaces. They’re based on pre-arranged tracks and altitudes. When crossing routes or corridors are not used for a period of time or if there’s a low traffic demand in a determined area, procedures can be abbreviated. Normally, there’s a standard route for inbound/outbound traffic to a specific sector or area and under normal operation pilots can’t choose if they want (or not) to fly them except if traffic permits. Fuel on board is adjusted considering those situations.

3. It depends. Decision Height (DH) is normally set during precision approaches and there isn’t a fixed 200-ft setting. That value must be checked for every airport and procedure in use (for example, during an approach based on ILS category I or II or for a same runway but different threshold). However, that setting is a reference to the pilots and airplane systems and it considers the airplane vertical distance to the ground, for a determined point during approach. When you adjust 280ft on Radio Altimeter dial that means the alert will be displayed when the airplane is 280ft above the ground.

4. Engine A/I must be on during all ground and flight operations when icing
conditions exist or are anticipated, except during climb and cruise when the
temperature is below –40 C SAT. Engine A/I must be on prior to, and during,
descent in all icing conditions, including temperatures below –40 C SAT. For wing A/I ground operation uses the same procedure for engine A/I. In flight there’re 2 methods: de-icer (allowing ice to accumulate before turning on the system) and anti-ice (prior to ice accumulation - procedure used only during extended operations into moderate or severe icing conditions). CFM engines used on B737-3/4/5/6/7/800 require the engine start switches in CONT. As far I remember engine used on B737-200 (PW JT8) when engine A/I system is turned on and after engine EPR is stabilized engine start switches can be off.

Last edited by Bokomoko; 14th Apr 2003 at 20:35.