PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New to Flying
Thread: New to Flying
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2014, 22:30
SloppyJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was instructing I found using the rudder an extremely useful tool for maybe one or two circuits, almost all student spend so much time flying the plane it uses all their mental ability and the whole circuit is a mad rush to them.

I explained beforehand that this is not how you fly a plane but will show you how much time you have. Take off, trim, let go of yolk and use gentle rudder inputs to keep it wings level. At level off trim and set power and once stable let go of yolk and use gentle rudder inputs to keep it pointing the right way same thing for base and final, set power for descent and trim then let go again, (needed yolk for the 90deg turns) at flap extension use yolk. For some reason people do not ever seem to over control with their feet during this exercise and it is mostly flown without any input at all, the students are amazed at how much time they have and how free their mind is to think ahead of the aircraft. After one or two circuits like this the over controlling is almost gone when using the yolk as it should be, and it is a far more relaxed time for the student.

I would only do this around the solo stage or later.