PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Habsheim
Thread: Habsheim
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2014, 20:32
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Thank you, Okie.

From Okie's posts previously, I assume he had experience in a FBW system before the AB320 came on line. The Block 10 comment is the clue, and I flew Bk1,5,10 and 15.

The problem I have seen in the 'bus laws was the implementation of an AoA input, primarily with the gear down. In short, the only way to establish a constant AoA gear up or down is to use the Okie technique and pull full back, achieve whatever AoA the FCS allows and go from there. Don't try this at home, but if you have sim time, then go for it.

Our primitive FBW law with the gear down had an AoA bias mixed with the gee command. And recall that ours used a gee command like the 'bus, but we could trim for a certain gee if we wished. So with gear down we had the "feel" of what all of us were used to - speed stability due to AoA. On my leading edge flap failure approach, I was able to control flight path using power versus increasing or decreasing AoA/speed. This was important because the guy before me pranged by increasing the AoA in a "flare".

@ Chris , et al.....As far as feeling a Nz change when using power to increase or decrease rate of descent, it's negligible. 100 or 200 feet per minute is about 0.07 gee for a second or two until stabilized. up or down. Even my sensitive butt could not feel that.

So one more time: The 'bus FCS control law is for a one gee command corrected for pitch attitude. Without being at one of the AoA limits, you won't see any change in rate of climb with a power change. You just keep going faster or slower on the existing flight path. But once at an aero limit like AoA, you perform just like all the books say.