PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - X/winds and tail wheel airplanes.
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2014, 15:49
Desert185

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most of my tailwheel time is in a 185 that I have had since 2000. I primarily fly in a mountain environment from the Sierra Nevada in Calif and Nevada north to and within Alaska. So some is near sea level and some is at high density altitudes (Nevada and Idaho).

When I experience crosswinds, there is often mechanical turbulence with updrafts and down drafts. I choose to do a tail low wheel landing and roll it on. The plane has 40 flaps, and that is my normal flap landing configuration, but not when the wind is a gusty crosswind at higher density altitudes. Under those conditions I use 20 flaps for less drag and a better sink recovery with power. With full flaps, the 300HP, at times, may not be enough to arrest a big sinker in the mountains...even with a Sportsman cuff, ART WingX and Micro Aero VG's.

The home runway is above 5,000' and only 1,400' long. It is also narrow, so with all things combined, I choose the tail low wheel landing, rolling it up on the mains for better forward visibility to keep it on the center of the runway. Brakes and rudder as required to maintain directional control. As the tail drops, I retract the flaps to improve airflow over the tail. The VG's also assist in directional control.

Now, if I choose to do 3-point under those conditions, there is a good possibility that a gust will lighten the aircraft and create issues with directional control as there will not be much weight on the mains for directional braking and the tail might also be blanked-out. I have even gone airborne again resulting in a go around. I found through experience that it is better to have a lower angle of attack (tail up) for better forward visibility over the nose, enhanced wheel braking and improved flow over the tail for better directional control (retracting the flaps as the tail settles). Given the short runway (and the minor obstacles at both ends), I can't "play it" and work it down. I have to go with the high percentage success configuration and technique that has worked for me in my airplane. On those rare days when there is no wind, its a joy to come floating in, a bit on the slow side with full flaps and do a graceful 3-point.

All of the above is done with a crab final, I might add. There are aircraft types that demand specific landing techniques and configurations, so for those, how you must do it is pretty cut and dried. The correct way in one may be the wrong way in another. Read, get a good instructor, ask questions, experiment within your own limitations and practice as much as you can afford under different conditions, realizing that what you learn in one aircraft may not necessarily transfer to another.