PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why must I have a slip and turn indicator?
Old 16th Feb 2014, 15:28
lilflyboy262...2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got what you guys were talking about.

What I was getting at was two points.

1) In that event of inadvertent IMC, and the AH fails, you have multiple other sources that give you the same information that the AH gives you, but just in a different format. The T&B is going to give you information that is needed for co-ordinated flight and can help you get out of the inadvertent IMC a lot faster.

In IFR/IMC, the AH is an amazing luxury to have, but it is not essential to safe flight. It is beneficial to increasing the overall safety of said flight though.

2) And more at the OPs original point.
In the VFR charter world, the T&B is used a heck of a lot more than the AH as you have visual reference with the outside world. This outside reference gives you all the information that is presented on the AH.
Information from the T&B is not readily available from other means, and is used in other situations outside of IMC.
The reason for the T&B indicator is not purely for an inadvertent IMC encounter as I pointed out in the previous post.

Personally, I would have the AH if it was functioning properly and just either climb or descend and ask for radar vectors out of there. Or just do a very rough compass turn until pointing roughly 180 degrees.... but thats just me. Using just a T&B is a heck of a lot of work. But I go back to point 2. The whole reason it is there is not for us to go bombing through bravely into ****e weather that ends with us IMC. But for the VFR pilot to use it in a raft of other situations....

Last edited by lilflyboy262...2; 16th Feb 2014 at 15:48. Reason: A bulb switched on in my head