PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Justin Bieber smoking drugs on leased GIV.
Old 16th Feb 2014, 13:50
lifeafteraviation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tuna hp
Why are all you pilots so opposed to smoking on the flight? My understanding is that it used to be very commonplace and that all the airplanes are still designed to be able to handle smoke through their air systems, even if the intent is probably tobacco smoke.
You're right, it was very commonplace and still is in some countries. TWA crews commonly would light up in the cockpit and invite the flight attendants and jumpseaters in for smoke breaks right up until the end. Especially on those long haul 747 flights. If they can get away with it it's up to the captain to allow it or not.

I've often been sitting in first or business up front and can tell when they're lighting up in the cockpit. I'm not a smoker so maybe I'm more sensitive to it. A lot of crews still do it.

As for smoking in a chartered aircraft. If the owner doesn't want it it's because he doesn't want his plane smelling badly. It's very hard to get the smell out of an interior. An airline cockpit is not such a big deal because it's less likely to have so much plush carpeting and upholstery (not counting Airbus).

flyboyike
There are times I thank my lucky stars I don't fly corporate. This is one of them.
Thanks for missing my point. By a mile.
I'm not sure what your point was...I'm guessing you have never had a good corporate flying job because if you had you wouldn't be saying that.

Blanket statements like that are always going to invite some backlash.

A lot of good corporate flying jobs also do occasional charters to offset the costs for the owners, it's not necessarily a bad thing. Even the worst charter jobs (which some guys are forced to take between the good jobs) are very rewarding in many ways and are usually still better than the worst airline jobs.

There is no sure thing in this business, some pilots have had a lot more luck in their career than others. There is much that is out of our control.