PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - X/winds and tail wheel airplanes.
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2014, 13:18
The500man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
youngman1, these are just my thoughts on the Pitts from my own experience with it.

Wheel landing the Pitts requires more precise control than 3-pointing. In the 3-point attitude you will have around 11-12 degrees AoA, and landing at flying speed, it's almost like skimming a stone across water. The only way to stop it flying is to put it on and slow it down. 3-point, you can hit the brakes fairly hard and if the tail comes up so be it, there's no major drama. If you land with the tail up you may find it harder to get on the brakes without starting to nose-over (not good with a big prop), and you have less drag to help slow you down. Also if you have anything less than a very gentle touch down on the mains it will jump off again and chew up a fair chunk of runway.

The 1971 UK flight manual supplement to the FAA approved flight manual contains the following:

"Section 3 - Performance Information...

...D. Landing

The Landing should always be 3-point.

Brakes can be used fairly hard, if necessary, almost regardless of wind strength and direction.

Ailerons should be used to assist keep into-wind wing down when on the ground if necessary."

I'm not suggesting the manual is the only way to land a Pitts, because I've seen many pilots fly it differently, but if you are going to do something different from the flight manual I suggest you make sure you fully understand why. If the answer is "because I was taught that way" and it was never otherwise explained to you than that is probably a good example of what Chuck is suggesting with problems in tail-wheel instruction.