PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The future of fitness testing.
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2014, 12:00
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
OAP -

SAS ... I assume you're talking the West Country Gun Club and not the Airline? The former no, at 38 I think my days of hanging out of helicopters are over. As for the latter, well I've heard some of the Hosties are rather nice and could be persuaded

Anyway, I digress. I agree with you that in theory everybody has to meet the minimum standards to remain in. However, in over 15 years, I have all too often seen people pulling a fast one to get out of fitness tests, finding all sorts of excuses for failing fitness tests, then failing their re-tests and just before admin action is due to begin they miraculously manage to pull something out of the bag and the clock re-sets, they disappear off to the bar for a pint and the whole cycle starts again.

My current unit is a Joint unit headed up by an Army Lt Col. If people fail a fitness test they are packed off to the MO. If they are found to be fit but lazy, the PTIs get involved and it's a thrashing of a life time; if they don't take it seriously, then admin action begins before they have even had chance to fail a second time. Those that the MO finds a medical issue with are put into rehab. If after 84 days they are still broken and can't pass a fitness test then serious admin action in the form of a PAP 10 starts. Once on the PAP 10 process, it can be a short flash to bang to discharge, either on medical grounds or services no longer required at the one end or to a re-branch / med downgrade at the other end.

What I'm basically getting at is for many, as I suggested in my earlier post, it is a mindset issue. Many are just lazy and can't be bothered to put in the effort to stay fit and pass a fitness test. So yes, there are minimum standards, but are they enforced or are there too many loop holes for individuals to play the system? Individuals aren't fooling anybody other that the system when they pass their fitness test after a year of inactivity and then can be found immediately afterwards throwing up outside the gym fire doors. Level 9 is not particularly difficult to get by any stretch - even at my decrepit age I can still hit 11 and I'm certainly not a 'jockstrapper'. Rather than going to the Mess for a plate of stodge and a snooze at lunchtime, I go for a run instead, it really is that simple. Moderation in everything, including phys - little and often goes a long way.

Last edited by Melchett01; 16th Feb 2014 at 12:13.