PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Overcoming the fear of flying
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2014, 09:43
Andy_P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by India Four Two
I used to live in Brisbane and flew a little there. Are you flying from Archerfield?

Motorcycles, yachts and aeroplanes.

PS When you say "incipient stalls", do you mean "incipient spins"?
I am flying out of Redcliffe, and I cant be happier with the staff at the Aero Club there. I have read some stories about them, both good and bad, but as a training org I am really happy with them. I am yet to fly with an instructor that I dont like, or dont get on with. And you can choose who you fly with, but I like mixing it up with instructors because they all add so much value to my flying.

When I say incipient stalls, well, we call then incipient spins in Australia. I have been questioned when I called it a spin, and I think the US folk call it an incipient stall, because its not a fully developed spin. Eitherway, its a power on, wing drop stall that is developing into a spin.

Originally Posted by porterhouse
Andy - your fears of deep stalls or sharp banking turns resonate with me, I think all novice pilots go through similar experiences.
I am sure it's tough for any new pilot, and I dont doubt that. But add to that that fear of flying and I am sure its something alltogether different. Like I said, its hard to describe unless you have been there. It actually makes you physically sick.

Fear keeps you alive, but irrational fears can do the exact opposite. I was adamant from the very beginning, if I was not able to deal with it, or I was not getting the flying part, then I wanted the instructors to tell me and I will walk away. Its like anything, put your mind to it and anyone can do it, but this does not mean you will be a good pilot. I want to be a good pilot, but if I cant, then I want to be told, and I want to walk away from it. If that irrational fear stops me from being able to deal with a real life situation, then I need to cut my losses and give it all away. So far, I feel I am just keeping on top of it. I keep asking the question of my instructors, but I know its just a half arsed way of making the excuse to get out of it. Dont ask me why, I dont know. When I am up there, I love it.

Originally Posted by Aphrican
I would highly recommend some "gentleman's aero" in an aerobatic taildragger in the first 100 hours or so for everyone.
You are not the first person to suggest this, but I honestly think it will do more harm than good at this point. I am progressing well at the moment, and I really dont need to be frightened!! I think they guys at the club just nursing me into stuff at the moment is the best way for me.