PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why must I have a slip and turn indicator?
Old 16th Feb 2014, 04:23
Square Bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting no mention of the AI...
Neither does it mention scanning the other instruments, such as the VSI and ASI, HSI or engine power indicator...that doesn't mean you wouldn't use them.

The CASA issued VFR (Day) syllabus - Aeroplanes:

GFPT requires 2 hours of IF using the full panel
The PVT Licence requires 2 hours of IF using the full panel

Full panel is "Flight instrument array of at least an Artificial Horizon (AH), stabilised Heading Indicator, an Air Speed Indicator (ASI), Vertical Speed Indicator, Altimeter, Turn and Balance Indicator/Turn Co-ordinator and an engine power indicator.

Ixxily, what you are suggesting is Limited Panel, and that only gets around 2 hours out of 10 hours in the CPLA training. A private pilot is not even required to have completed Limited Panel..

. Plus teaching a VFR Pilot they'll be better off using the AH could lead them to a false thought of "Well, I'm already in it and I can use this AH so I'll just continue on"
If they hold a CPL they will have completed 14 hours of IF training, 12 using the AH.

At PPL level they will have completed 4 hours using the AH.

And no, I wasn't advocating ignoring a perfectly valid source of information, that seemed to your point.

What I was advocating was that the primary information source should be the AH with the other instruments as supportive.

And that is how I taught the sequences in Restricted/GFPT, Unrestricted/PPL, CPL and CIR and how the syllabus was written for it to be taught.

Anyway, do it how you want to, its your 178 seconds, not mine.

Last edited by Square Bear; 16th Feb 2014 at 05:30.